Students will need:
- The Faith and Worship Course Study Materials available from Amazon UK
- The personal Tool Kit available from Connexional Local Preachers Committee
- Bible (New Revised Standard Version - NRSV or New International Version - NIV)
- Methodist Worship Book
- Hymns & Psalms (the music edition has details of psalms and an index of biblical texts)
- A one-volume Bible Commentary
- The hymn book Singing the Faith
Also recommended are:
- A concordance
- A Bible dictionary
- Methodist catechism
- Wesley's Forty-Four Sermons (you might prefer a modern paraphrase Sermons on Several Occasions, available from the Connexional Local Preachers Committee)
- English Dictionary
- Portfolio folder (to keep a record of your studies as you work through Faith & Worship and the services you lead)
Faith and Worship Course
The Faith and Worship course includes studies in the Old and New Testaments, theology and church history all in the context of leading people in worship.
The course has four sections which are assessed by assignment.
Edgehill College offers the course as a part-time two year course, meeting on Thursday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.30 pm. You will need course folders for each of the sections which are available from Connexional Local Preachers Committee. The cost of the folders for all four sections is approximately £99 or they can be bought separately. If you are accepted by your Circuit Executive as a Local Preacher 'on trial', your Circuit will bear the cost of your folders.
The introductory units (Faith & Worship - Introductory Section) which include:
- Starting Out
- Introduction to Worship and Preaching
- Jesus Through the Eyes of Mark
contain materials that are useful for starting the course and for preaching, but are not assessed.